You are here

2019/10/03 Board Meeting

JeffDeluca's picture
Submitted by JeffDeluca on Mon, 12/02/2019 - 10:42

LMGA Board Meeting, October 3, 2019
3:00 PM-TLC Board Room
Members Present:
President - Mr. Hainly
Vice President - Mr. Schepis
Interim Secretary - Mr. Klein
Treasurer – Mr. Palermo
Asst. Treasurer – Mr. Brown
Technology Chair - Mr. Cunningham
Asst. Technology Chair - Mr. Belanger
Asst. Technology Chair - Mr. DeLuca
Special Projects – Mr. Staman
Special Projects – Mr. Morris
Communications Co-Chair - Mr. Cricenti
Interclub Char - Mr. Poleynard
Golf Chair - Mr. Bellucci
Asst. Golf Chair - Mr. Skipper
Deer Creek Asst. Team Captain - Mr. Quinn
Marshwood Team Captain – Mr. Brunton
Oakridge Asst. Captain - Mr. Warhola
New Neighbors Golf Chair - Mr. Klein
Past President – Mr. Barber
Standards Committee Representative – Mr. Ura
Guest – Mr. Snyder

1. Call to Order, Approval of Minutes: Mr. Hainly “gaveled” the meeting to order at 15:00. A Quorum was present. Agenda and Minutes of 9/11 were approved.
2. Savannah Championship Update: Cheyenne Overby, Korn Ferry Tournament director, & Randy Stolt, volunteer chairman, were introduced to discuss schedule of events and relevant issues. The tournament is Feb Mar 28 – Apr 5.
o Randy reviewed details on key dates, uniforms, Volunteer website and thanked LMGA for supporting volunteer efforts. A total of 779 volunteer positions are available to support the event.
 Some committees were combined to reduce administration. Promotions committee will support 3 events downtown. Volunteer process started this week, new website being setup, it will be like last yr. Registration starts w/Chair & vice chair positions. Preference given to returning volunteers.
o Cheyenne reviewed Schedule of events. Sustainability was discussed for plastic bottles. Tour has partnered with Coke this year. They are helping us to be “Greener”, PGA has a Green Team working on this. Hydration stations will be setup, looking for sponsor. Cheyenne said our tournament ranked in top 3 on Korn Ferry Tour in all review categories.
3. Presidents Report: Mr. Hainly reported the Treasurer’s monthly report was sent to all Board members. We expect to make $1300 from Tom Coyne event. While we had a carryover funds from last year, we’ve incurred some new expenses, so we’ll be cautious with spending to maintain our reserves. A key will be managing costs for the final dinner/event. A small group will meet to discuss EOY expenditure forecast.
o Tournament Conmmittee Report: The 2020 Tournament Events and calendar has not been finalized as a result of the unavailability of the Plantation Ballroom and conflicts with scheduled Member-Guest events. . Charity events will be better separated to minimize overlapping or back-back events like last year. “Nine and Dine” were successful in 2019 and will continue next summer. The Committee is considering a new tournament called “Palmer’s Cup” to commemorate the opening of the Marshwood Clubhouse in the September 2020 time frame. The lack of notice concerning the date change for the Men’s Club Championship was discussed and staff was asked to consider new methods for announcing mid-year calendar changes. Date changes are inevitable from when calendar is 1st published, so it’s ultimately the members responsibility to know when an event is held.
4. Vice Presidents Report: Mr. Schepis said much of Golf & Greens committee discussion was on whether Celebration grass would be used; it won’t be. Committee met Scott Justman, the new Director of Golf. They expect him to be much more visible to membership. Proposal made by LWGA for how to make golf more enjoyable for women. Considering creating new tees between Skidaway and course tees to allow more GIR for women. PA system brought up again, expect nothing further on the subject. Spring invitational had low couple turn-out. Event needs to find its Identity. Looking at this and how to promote it (men, women, couples).
5. Standards Committee: Mr. Ura stated the consensus is our course conditions are excellent. Overseeding schedule: Plantation week of 10/7, Marshwood, week of 10/14, Deer Creek, week of 10/28 . Last year’s impacts were highlighted as: Weather (rain) and staffing. We increased the permanent staffing thru Tri-Stone by 6 full time people and have better access to temp workers. Permits for H2B workers who are here from Valentine-December, have already been requested. While we can’t defend against a Govt Shutdown, we are being more proactive with staffing plans. TifEagle is the best long-term grass option but it won’t be implemented in 2020. It was suggested to video tape the Course superintendent mtgs to increase awareness. Mr. Palermo said the Golf course maintenance budget will be significantly increased next year. Funds will come from strong F&B revenues.
6. Treasures Report: A spreadsheet of the 2019 Profits and loss statement was provided for review. Overall, Finances are in good standing.
7. Membership Report: There was a glitch with website, but it has been corrected. We’ve gotten 3-5 new members mainly from the Wed evening 9-hole Scramble event. Total membership is at about 450 members.
8. Technology Report: Mr. Cunningham & Mr. DeLuca had nothing new to report. They will look at solutions for “Preferred Tee” selection confusion.
9. Interclub Report: Mr. Polynard reported that scheduled play dates will be Dec. 2nd through March 10. League meeting will occur week of 10/7. Signup requests are anticipated in mid-October. Gary will pay the $500 fee and be reimbursed. He’ll solicit input from players on the courses they’d like to play. Each match consists of is 5, 2-man teams, Cost is $40 per person per event.
10. Golf Chair Report: Mr. Bellucci stated no impact to EOY championship events due to over-seeding. Scoring stats for overflow players were well balanced among the different courses. Catering needs have been confirmed with Blake. Proposal made to upgrade the Dec 19 lunch ($300-$400 more). Captains will pass the hat at upcoming BA cup events to collect $ for Ellen Jacobs whose support for our events has been invaluable. We will need Volunteers for the championship days. John will send request for support to board members.
11. Club Captains report: Nothing new reported. Discussed balancing the teams to create more parity, simplify the math (standings), and minimize overflow. Mr. Hainly will send stats out at year end to help captains consider better ways to balance teams
12. Communications Report– nothing to report.
13. New Neighbors Report: On Oct 2 NN had their Semi-annual Scramble & luncheon with 48 players at Palmetto. All new neighbors are encouraged by their captains to join LMGA.
14. Social Chair Report: The Tom Coyne presentation was a big hit. Current registration numbers will ensure we make a profit. Mr. Hainly stated everything is set for the LMGA annual meeting/dinner on 11/14. Two food stations and a 2-hour open bar are planned. The annual meeting will feature Rusty Billingsly, formerly with the Golf Channel.
15. Old Business: Mary Morgan will help with new golfer mentoring. Billy, Frank, and Bob will discuss how to roll it out. Nominations for board positions are being finalized and will be advertised to the general membership within two weeks of annual meeting, where members will vote on Executive Board nominations.
16. Bylaws Review: The meeting concluded with a discussion of Bylaws changes recommended by the Review Committee and other Board members. A marked-up copy of all changes and a summary of any suggested policy changes will be made available to the membership at least two weeks prior to the Annual meeting. The members present at the meeting will be asked to vote on the revisions recommended by the Board.
The meeting adjourned at 5:45 pm. Submitted by J.Klein, edited by R. Hainly